I just discovered an internet applet that displays a chart of the names given to babies since 1880. It is really interesting to see how new names are created as people are increasingly educated and our individualistic culture shows through our selection of names to brand our shelves as a unique individual.
10 Little Tidbits About Our Names
1. Only Names that start with A,N,Q,X,Z have increased in usage since 1880
2. Revival of names starting with vowels(AEIOU) starting in 1960s
3. Least names start with the letter U
4. Names are becoming more fragmented, meaning that less people have the same names.
5. More new names are created since 1950 than before that
6. No Names start with numbers. Sort of like C variable names. I guess God is a coder.
7. Names most popular in 1880s: John, William & Mary
8. Neither of the 3 are popular anymore. (In 2005,they rank: John :18, William: 11, Mary: 73)
9. Apparently Unknown is a name, luckily its not in the top 1000 names
10. My Name is not in the databaseJ probably because I am not Christian and do not possess a Christian name.