Recently I have started my own hobby app on the side to make sure my programming is still up to date and to scratch that product itch.
In the process, I have found something to be really useful and would like to share with you guys.To put it simply, its the app version of get out of the building and talk to your users (http://theleanstartup.com/).
What I did is pretty simple, I included Admob (or any other Ad SDK with house ads capability) and linked it to a survey monkey form.
Favalert – for facebook online alert for iPhone
Here are the questions I asked
1. Tell me about why you downloaded Favalert?
2. Which new feature sounds the most important for you?
3. On a scale of zero to 10, how likely are you to refer Favalert to a friend?
4. Is there anything else you’d like to share?
5. If you want us to contact you regarding your suggestions, please leave your email address.
Survey Reference: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YKFCYRW
The questions 1 and 2 really provided great insights into who was using my app, and why. Qns 2 especially allowed me to quickly test app ideas (often from suggestions in qns 4) with the group and based on popularity, I could start building and charging for IAP.
Favalert is doing great for retention and purchases though total downloads could be better. I am embarking on phase 2 of ask your users with my new survey here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BPVXWDT.
Hopefully this survey will give me even greater insights into my users. They continue to surprise me with every survey response. If you guys have any ideas, lets discuss it here!